We had lots of fun this morning making our sock sensory snake. It is a lovely simple craft for toddlers, preschool and older children to enjoy. We use cinnamon to add a scent to our snake but you could use lavender drops or any scent that your children like.
You could use plain socks and print on them with paint or use patterned socks.
Toddler girl used a small 1/2 teaspoon scoop to put rice into the sock. We counted the scoops of rice as she put them in.
She then added a small scoop of cinnamon.
Once it was full we sewed the top up.Toddler girl helped pull the needle. Depending on the age and ability of your children would depend on how independent they were at sewing the snake.
Once the snake was sewn up toddler girl then stuck on two googly eyes and a felt tongue.
Toddler girl loves her little snake... and it smells lush :)
What did she learn.... EYFS learning goals:
CLL (speaking) 30-50 mths
• Uses talk to connect ideas, explain what is happening and anticipate what might happen next, recall and relive past experiences.
Physical (movement and handling) 22-36mths
• Shows control in holding and using jugs to pour, hammers, books and mark-making tools.
Physical (movement and handling) 40-60mths
• Shows a preference for a dominant hand.
Maths (numbers) 30-50mths
• Recites numbers in order to 10.
• Realises not only objects, but anything can be counted, including steps, claps or jumps.