We decided to take our maths learning outdoors and have some fun matching our numerals and counting.
I used a sharpie to write some numbers onto our mini logs and our collection of stones. We then used them to play some fun maths games in the garden.
Matching numbers game
Toddler girl had to put a numbered mini log onto a different pavement stones. She then had to choose a matching numbered stone and put it on the same paving stone.
Whilst toddler girl was playing this game 'Hop' the rabbit decided to come and play too. She was interested in these mini logs and kept attempting to eat them... much to Toddler girls dismay and my amusement.
Run and match maths game.
This time I put the stones into a pillow case (you could use a cloth bag if you have one) I then pulled out a stone and Toddler girl had to look at it and then run to find the matching number.
I think she enjoyed this game more than the previous one as she got to run around.
Toddler girl had to put the mini logs in order from one to ten. She managed the first few with ease but then began to struggle, so I suggested that she counted the already ordered numbers to find out which number came next. She was then able to complete the task independently.
Counting and matching.
For this game toddler girl had to put all the mini logs back onto separate paving stones again.
We then filled a Frisbee (as I couldn't find a bucket) full of pieces of bark.
Toddler girl had to count out the right amount of bark to match the numeral on the mini log.
What did she learn.... EYFS learning goals:
Maths - numbers 30-50 mths
• Recites numbers in order to 10.
• Knows that numbers identify how many objects are in a set.
• Sometimes matches numeral and quantity correctly.
Maths - numbers 40-60mths
• Recognise some numerals of personal significance.
• Recognises numerals 1 to 5.
• Counts up to three or four objects by saying one number name for each item.
• Selects the correct numeral to represent 1 to 5, then 1 to 10 objects.
• Says the number that is one more than a given number.